Use Riemann sums to approximate the area bounded by the graph of
f(x) = x3 - 5x +7
the lines x = -2 and x = 3 and the x-axis. Use N left-hand endpoints for
N = 10 and 50.
- Choose Beginning Calculus from the initial menu and press
- Use the arrow keys to move to the menu item Riemann Sums, press
- At the prompt F(x) =, enter the formula
- Enter the bounds at the prompts
- x_0 = -2
- x_1 = 3
- Using the arrow keys, move to F(Left Endpoint) and press
- (*) At the prompt for the number of subdivisions, N = , enter
- You will see the the graph of the function and the approximating rectangles:
you will see the calculations up to that point.
again and use the arrow keys to move to Change N Only and press
- Return to (*) and enter N = 50 and proceed
as above to get the following.
- You will see the following table at some point: