Use Riemann sums to approximate the area bounded by the graph of
f(x) = x3 - 5x +7
the lines x = -2 and x = 3 and the x-axis. Use N left-hand endpoints for
N = 10 and 50.
(from the University of Arizona):
- After starting up the program, you are prompted "Would you like some
instructions?" Use the arrow keys to move to either Yes or
No and then press .
- If you choose Yes then read the instructions and press
when you are ready to proceed.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Create Integrals and press
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Create Integral and press
- At the prompt, Enter integrand :, type
- At the prompt, Lower x limit : -10, type -2
- At the prompt, Upper x limit : 10, type 3
- Use the arrow keys to move to Plot Integrand (Rectangle) and
- At the prompt, Minimum y : -10, type 0
- At the prompt, Maximum y : 10, type 20
- You will now see the graph of the function. Press uppercase
several times until n = 10. Note
that the value of n is at the upper left-hand side of the screen.
- Now press to choose left-hand
- Press to clear the graph.
- Again press uppercase
several times until n = 50.
- Finally, press to choose left-hand