Plot the tangent line to the graph of the function
f(x) = ln(x - 6)
at the point x = 8 together with the graph of this function.
Using the TI-85 graphing calculator:
[Press here to see animation again!]
- If you are not familiar with the graphing of functions on the TI-85,
then first read the
Little's Basic Guide to the TI-85.
- Press the GRAPH key and then pick y(x)=
by pressing the F1 key.
- If necessary, keep pressing F4 key until only
y1= appears on the screen.
- Type in
ln(x - 6)
and press the ENTER key.
- The range settings for the graph above is  [5, 10] × [- 2, 2]:
- Press the MORE key so that MATH appears in the menu.
- Press the F1 key to choose MATH.
- Press the MORE key twice so that TANLN appears
in the menu.
- Press the F3 key to choose TANLN.
- There is a blinking cursor on the graph at x = 7.5; using the arrow
keys move this cursor along the graph so that the x value, which is indicated at the lower left hand corner of the screen is as close to 8 as
- Press the ENTER key to draw the tangent line.