Numerically, investigate the behavior of the Newton quotient of the function
f(x) = |x|
near x = 0
- Choose Beginning Calculus from the initial menu and press
- Use the arrow keys to move to the menu item Difference Quot's,
press and .
- At the prompt F(x) =, enter the formula
- At the prompt a = , type 0 .
- At the prompt h = , type 1 .
- At Tabulate, press and on
the screen you will see values for the Newton quotients
- (*) Press , at h <<-- 1/2 h, press and, at Tabulate, press
again. If you keep repeating from (*)
then you will see the following table: