Sketch the graph of the following equation:
x2 - 3 y2 - 4 x + 5 y + 8 = 0
and its inverse.
Using Wl-plot (v. 2.59):
- At the main menu, use the arrow keys to move to the menu item Conic
Sections and press . If you have a
mouse you can just click on the menu item Conic Sections.
- You will now see an elaborate menu which provides various ways of
entering data for a conic section:
- Press to get to Plotting Style.
Using the arrow keys move the small triangle so that it points to the option
Focal Points & Asymptotes and press
If you are using a mouse, all you need to do in this step is to point and
click at the menu item Focal Points & Asymptotes.
- Press to get to General Equation
Constants or point and click your mouse at this item.
- Enter the coefficients:
- A = 1
- B = 0
- C = -3
- D = -4
- E = 5
- F = 8
- Press to get to the menu items at the
bottom of the screen and use the arrow keys to move to Plot and
press . If you have a mouse then
just point to Plot on the bottom of the screen and click the mouse